I'm seeing red

Hello folk’s, I’m looking to shed some light on why it is red/purple plants are so widespread these days?

Green plants at harvest for me are a real rarity now, 90%+ turn red/purple around harvest time, some a bit earlier and some later but inevitably purple will appear.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s maybe normal for all (most) plants and strains to turn red if left long enough, the green plants I’m thinking about weren’t necessarily ripe I had less experience then than i have now.

Or maybe the gene pool is so diluted these days with purple genetics green plants barely exists outside of artisan breeders?

14 Likes

If I do my job feeding properly I get green plants, and red/purple plants. When I do a bad job I get yellow and leaves falling off.

11 Likes

I think many times purple just comes with cold temperatures, like in my case … :penguin:

32 Likes

What lights are you using?

5 Likes

Those are gorgeous @George

Haha Gorgeous George ba dum ching :drum:

8 Likes

I 100% feeeel like this may be true, too. The breeding for color, that is. 10 years ago it felt like 30ish% was fading hard and now it’s 85%. I think it was a ton of selection during the start of legalization…when bag appeal was the star. Idk. That and LEDs being so much more widely used which can contribute to extra color but I really think it’s been in the selections

8 Likes

Maybe it is strain related and don’t react the same to cold temperatures like these … icon_e_confused|nullxnull

12 Likes

What temps do you go down to, Georgie? I don’t let mine go under 68 usually and get color on damn near everything.

2 Likes

Those plants are begging you for a better life

3 Likes

This piece of branch was wrapped in painters tape as a tag.

11 Likes

Mine? Or…? @PsillyRabbit

Super interesting @lusid … you’re on the team of led being the factor?

4 Likes

Thanks @George It’s summer and winter it doesn’t make any odds.

@GreenHighland I’m using led atm but I got too high % of purple with hid.701a4386af162eac846f4911c981c542ef65d6db_2_417x500
It’s like a damn plague, give me green :crazy_face:

Edit…I’m not too fussy during veg but after I put them to flower I keep the parameters within range.

9 Likes

We have better lights then before. Remember, environment plus genetics equals phonetype. Our environment is different then before.

I also feel that it’s like you guys are saying. A lot of the new cultivars are bred to be instagramable aswell, and purple plants with white crystals are very pretty to look at.

Pz :v:t2:

12 Likes

Sugar Belts x [Pablos Revenge x Black Velvet] - @Ottafish
A =Green
C=Purple

Same Genetics, Different plants. I kept the Green pheno.
It does get some purple with low temps but not to the degree of the other.
Keep searching brotha!

14 Likes

Yeah. Even if it’s just a deficiency exposed by light, it’s obviously doing something. I had a jungle this past grow and everything above the canopy was purple and everything below was green.

3 Likes

That said I grow plenty of green buds. I think LED draws out the trait if the trait is easily draw-outable.

2 Likes

What’s that cross, if I may? The left is a cookie lookie :eyes: lol

2 Likes

The plant on the left looks very deficient.

1 Like

That tent is in the mansard, maybe they can reach 37 F, I used heaters the first years but now I just look for tough strains :muscle:, this plant is resistant, cold temperatures also promotes a trichomes coating as a resistance, not bad at all … :yum:

5 Likes

I dont know enough to know a difference of what the LED does vs others.
I always thought it was mainly yields that would differ under MH or HPS.

@DirtySlowToes I edited it in so it was more clear. :sunglasses: :vulcan_salute:

1 Like